Gas gauge repair

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas gauge repair
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:11:59 -0700
I'm finishing up my 5 year restoration of a '66 TR4A. I added about five
gallons of gas yesterday, and the fuel gauge did not register. The
gauges have been rebuilt, all new wiring. Perhaps the float is stuck
down?? Its been a couple of years, but I'm sure I check the sending unit
before buttoning up the tank. Should there voltage at the green wire at
the tank? The workshop manual suggested checking voltage at the
stabilizer. I had a brand new one, so I installed it...same problem.
Has anyone removed the sending unit while in the car? I hate to remove
the tank, if the sending unit will come out of the small space between
the tank and the h panel. Any advice
appreciated.                             Jerry
Oliver
Olympia WA
'66 TR4A
'61 MGA