Re: Seat belt Test

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat belt Test
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:50:00 -0400
Cliff Davies wrote:

> How does one verify if your seat belts on a TR6 will work in a crash
> situation? on most cars you simply give the belt a quick tug and it
> locks. My TR6 belts don't lock when I do this and I can't believe I just
> realized this. They adjust and come out of the spoolers just fine? TIA
> Cliff
> 73 TR6

Cliff,

The seat belt reels work on a ratchet pawl connected to a good size weight.
When a
sudden stop, the weight tips the pawl into the ratchet stopping the belt.

To check the belts, make a hard stop and lean forward on the belt while
stopping.  It
should grab.  If not, then you may have a problem.  To confirm that there is
indeed a
problem, park on a very steep grade and try to pull the belts.  The weight
should lean
over and trip the ratchet on a good, steep hill - if not, replace the belts.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars