reflective stripes?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: reflective stripes?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:29:36 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
In doing the minor restorations to my '72 TR6, I've begun fretting about
originality.  What I'm faced with at the moment is whether or not, (1) to
install a new $209.95 Moss Motors top (zip-out window, no stripes) that I
inherited from the previoius owner, (2) go with a more expensive top of the
same style, or (3) to spend the money for a top with the reflective stripes
(I
admit I don't care much for this detail, but my car did come with them).

In William Kimberley's book, _Triumph TR6_ (Veloce Publishing
1995/1998), page 51, I find the following sentence:  "The silver-grey
reflective taping around the hood was *an option* on American cars from
the beginning."  (my *italics*).  Now I wonder if the tops with reflective
stripes were *always* shipped with U.S. TR6s, or if they were simply the
most common form.  I've been told that the stripes are correct, but Mr
Kimberley would seem to differ, calling them an "option."  I also notice
that
early publicity photos of the TR6 show no reflective stripes, and that a
couple of trophy-winning TR6s I've seen on the Internet have none either.

What's the story?  Can my car look "original" and not have these stripes?
And if I decide against them anyway, did the previous owner leave me a
decent quality item in that Moss top?  It says "Made in the U.K." but has
no manufacturer's name.  (And of course, any top I install will be used
very
infrequently.)

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com