Brake bleeding - was Mity-vac

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake bleeding - was Mity-vac
From: "Kurt" <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 99 08:31:19 PST
The recent thread on the Mity-vac bleeder/vacuum tester dovetails nicely into
something I've been looking at. I want to get a pressure bleeder, one that uses
compressed air to bleed the hydraulic systems. There are two types I've found,
a push through system and a pull through system. The push through system
pressurizes the resevoir and all you have to do is crack the bleed nipples
open. It does require adapters for each different type of MC resevoir you have,
in my case, at least 5 different types. The second type is the pull through
where air pressure is used to create a "vacuum" in a chamber attached to the
bleed nipple and draws the fluid through the system. Moss and Griot's offer a
system like this.

The method I've always used is simply a length of tube from the bleed nipple
down into a large glass jar with some brake fluid in the bottom so the free end
of the hose is covered. Then you just crack the nipple, pump the brakes, top up
the MC and repeat until the fluid runs clear. Works well but its time consuming
with a lot of up and down and my old football knees are really starting to
complain.

So if any of you have experience or opinion's on pressure bleeders, I'ld like
to hear them.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
54 TR2