RE: TR6 valve stuck?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 valve stuck?
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:34:53 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Following the general thoughts and my gutt feeling I pulled the head.
The valve stem on no 1 was fairly mushroomed. Rockers were ok, well as far
as they are ok after some 50k miles. I decided to take the head off after
all to be double sure and replace the offending valves. Though they are not
exactly cheap for valves they aren't that expensive either. Result is that
neither of the valve guides is extremely tight (cast guides, non phosphor
bronze) but not sloppy either. No burning on the valve seats. As for the no
1 rocker, which is the worst, I decided to replace it in case its got a hair
crack or summing. As thought, none of the valves is currently stuck. I'm not
using any guide seals as the engine is not using excessive oil. Oil feed,
well, its getting fed as it was intended by the factory...As for any obvious
reasions for what happened, no clue. If it goes back together ok, it should
be a repair in the region of  £ 80
which is not too bad. Parts to be replaced: 3 valves, one rocker,
rockershaft, one stud, head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and water pump
to head gasket.
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers. Gernot