Re: TR6 roll bars

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 roll bars
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:11:16 -0700
Frank,
I have a roll bar and its bolted to the rear parcel too.  The sad thing is that
the PO moved the mountings of the seat belt winders to accommodate the new roll
bar and so the belt winders are sort of pinched and at an angle.  They don't
wind up very well at all.  If I ever roll the car I probably won't have to
worry about what the roll bar might do to me as I most likely will be exiting
the car due to compromised seat belts.
;-O
As for delussional roll bar functionality, there actually is a real function to
the roll bar(beyond the sporty cosmetics). They make a nice hand hold when the
tops down and your filling the tank with gas or when your reaching into the car
for something.  I guess you could mount a high view stop lite(or a reflector)
on it but the interior would lite up like a christmas tree with the top up. Oh
yes, and on the odd occasion you find yourself pushing the car it makes a great
hand hold.  The good thing is that it does not get in the way of putting up the
top(at least the one I have doesnt).
:-)
I've seen used ones sell as cheap as $50 at car shows(one here in Tannehill,AL
two weeks back) so look around as you don't want to spend too much on such a
cosmetic item. If mine were'nt already bolted to the car I probably would'nt
buy one.
Like Pete was noting about choices, I wonder if I ever got rear ended, which
would I prefer, whiplash neck or a huge knot on my head.
Choices ...choices
:-)
--

On Wed, 19 May 1999 19:52:44   Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

>Frank Biedermann wrote:
>>For those of you with roll bars on your TR6 (or other convertibles) -
>>where are the mounting brackets for it bolted to? It seems to me that
>>a dodgy way of mounting one is just to bolt it to the parcel shelf
>>behind the seats (not something I would want to do), but surely
>>commercially installed roll-bars would be somehow attached to the
>>frame through the shelf (or am I just being optimistic here)?
>
>Sorry Frank, you're apparently under the impression that something called a
>"roll bar" or "roll-over bar" would actually be designed to prevent serious
>injury if you were to roll your car.  How silly of you.
>
>My roll bar, and every other roll bar that I've seen in STREET TR6's are
>simply bolted, with backing plates, to the parcel shelf.  I was just about
>to write that it's better than NO roll bar, but I'm not so sure.  They are
>generally more for appearance than actual function as far as I'm concerned.
>I'd be interested to hear from other more knowledgeable listers about
>whether ANY roll bar is better than none for safety purposes.  I suspect it
>would be, but sometimes these things are counter-intuitive.
>
>Imagine, for example, in a roll-over with one of these wimpy bars... if (or
>when) it collapses, is it going to collapse right onto (into) your noggin?
>Then again, without the bar the EARTH itself will "collapse" into your
>noggin.  Take your pick.
>
>Bottom line, buy one or don't, but fer Chrissakes, drive safe!  (but have fun!)
>
>Pete Chadwell
>1973 TR6

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account
at http://www.eudoramail.com