TR6 roll bars

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 roll bars
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 19:52:44 -0700
Frank Biedermann wrote:
>For those of you with roll bars on your TR6 (or other convertibles) -
>where are the mounting brackets for it bolted to? It seems to me that
>a dodgy way of mounting one is just to bolt it to the parcel shelf
>behind the seats (not something I would want to do), but surely
>commercially installed roll-bars would be somehow attached to the
>frame through the shelf (or am I just being optimistic here)?

Sorry Frank, you're apparently under the impression that something called a
"roll bar" or "roll-over bar" would actually be designed to prevent serious
injury if you were to roll your car.  How silly of you.

My roll bar, and every other roll bar that I've seen in STREET TR6's are
simply bolted, with backing plates, to the parcel shelf.  I was just about
to write that it's better than NO roll bar, but I'm not so sure.  They are
generally more for appearance than actual function as far as I'm concerned.
I'd be interested to hear from other more knowledgeable listers about
whether ANY roll bar is better than none for safety purposes.  I suspect it
would be, but sometimes these things are counter-intuitive.

Imagine, for example, in a roll-over with one of these wimpy bars... if (or
when) it collapses, is it going to collapse right onto (into) your noggin?
Then again, without the bar the EARTH itself will "collapse" into your
noggin.  Take your pick.

Bottom line, buy one or don't, but fer Chrissakes, drive safe!  (but have fun!)

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6