Re: TR6 - Windshield Washers

To: Ken & Lorna Steels <steels@navnet.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Windshield Washers
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 08:32:32 -0400
For what it's worth, I've had similar problems with TR washer motors: the
motor itself is almost always good, but the little rubber impeller is often
either stripped off the drive key, or is old and hard so the "fingers"
don't flex enough to push the washer fluid out.  It would be great if
someone could find a replacement for the impeller.

I can't recall which of the connections was positive.  On mine there is a
small label with "+" and "-" near each post.
When I replaced my waher pump, I did prime it by (Ew, Yuck!) taking a
mouthful of clean tap water and blowing it out into the washer intake hose.

If you're not worried about concours competitions, you can get a cheap
(US$5 or so) generic replacement at a discount car parts place (Pep Boys,
Trak Auto, etc) and screw it onto the original mounting bracket.

On Wed, 19 May 1999 13:22:40 -0300 (ADT) , you wrote:

>The windshield washers on my 74 TR6 were not working. I disassembled the
>pump mechanism and found that the small key that secures the impeller to the
>shaft had come out of place. The motor was consequently just spinning. I
>reassembled it with the key in place, things seem to function but it will
>not draw fluid from the bottle. The question is if it is necessary to prime
>the pump or have I put the thing together incorrectly.The green wire is
>connected to the terminal close to the inlet hose, the black wire is
>connected to the other terminal needless to say. The impeller spins
>counterclockwise (when looking into the unit) and the little impeller blades
>trail behind the direction of rotation. The gasket isn't wonderful, could
>this be the problem? The hoses are clear. If it is necessary to prime the
>pump, how do you do it? I would really like to avoid buying a whole new
>assembly if this is just a minor problem but I won't pass the local
>mandatory safety check without washers.
>
>Ken
---
Ted Stevens