Re: International Drivers License

To: JTRippel@CSI.com
Subject: Re: International Drivers License
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 14:08:18 +0200
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ahh, Yes...

On Wed, 19 May 1999 16:18:42 -0700 J Thomas Rippel <JTRippel@CSI.com>
wrote on the Subject: RE: International drivers licenses

> I have followed the discussion about international drivers license
> and would like to verify my understanding.
SNIP
> However one fellow employee from a European subsidiary stated that
> using an International license protected or buffered my American
> License.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - most policemen, in western Europe
at least, are reasonably intelligent creatures - they most likely
would request Your original license. Be it American, Australian or
what ever PLUS the IDP...

> He implied that some countries could pull your license at the scene
> of the accident.

Definitely! And not only on the scene of an accident, they pull ones
license if caught excessively speeding also... If You are a foreign
citizen You are also forced to pay the eventual fines, !in cash!, on
the scene - or end up in the stockade until You pay up... If You're
an EU citizen they'll also see to it that Your local home license
issuing department revokes Your license for the period Your offence
costs... That's the theory in Sweden any way.
So Be careful out there!
And use Your Cruise control on the Swedish highways! Could save You
a fortune in speeding tickets and also Your license [if You drive
more than 30 kph too fast on a highway... Much less if in town...]

> If I was in an accident - and my international license was pulled
> I could always come home to America and still have my state drivers
> license.

Not necessarily. As I said they'll take them both off Your hands.
And an IDP is only valid TOGETHER with the local license...

> Can any one clarify if it really does protect our stateside license
> or was this misinformation?

Regards
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,