Noise (Thrust Washers???)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noise (Thrust Washers???)
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:50:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Okay...

My car makes a wonderful new mechanical noise.

On startup: no noise
Warm idle: noise comes alive
Driving: noise quite hearable

Oil pressure is good through all conditions.

Now, when clutch pedal is pressed the noise disappears.

So a friend and I narrowed it down to thrust washers (hoping not), or a
problem in the clutch itself.

I pushed rearward on the crank and had him press the clutch pedal, and a
noticeable movement was felt through the hand.. but very minuet, but
definitely feelable.

This noise sounds as if you were to tie a metal washer around a string and
spin it around in a circle with the washer hitting metal as it travels
around.  It isn't a steady noise, it has a random pattern... but it is
steady in the fact that it is continuous.

The problem arose as I was accelerating away from a stop, after about
15miles of driving directly before without any noise.  As I was leaving the
stop sign at about 2000rpm this noise appeared.

I'm hoping this is a clutch problem... as I'll be able to rip it all apart
this weekend.

Thanks!

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1966 MGB -- Forsale!  $500 -- major (complete) project.  near Philadelphia