TR3B: Upper Steering Column Assembly

Subject: TR3B: Upper Steering Column Assembly
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 15:21:14 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello Listers!

I'm trying to install the upper half of my split steering wheel column. And
it's not going too well. I have two questions:

1) How far should the end of the inner column extend past the end of the
outer column? A measurement from either the top or bottom end will work ---
somehow my notes don't mention this, and it's not obvious to me either.

2) Is there a trick to getting the bushings in place at the upper end? Mine
has a big rubber bushing with bump stops that go into the holes at the upper
end of the outer column. Then it has a metal bushing that slides under that,
and then a nylon bushing (with a notched split in it) that slides under all
that. I can't find any way to get that nylon bushing to fit under the other
two. Either it pushes the rubber bushing down into the column (which doesn't
seem right), or if I find a way to keep that in place then the nylon bushing
gets pushed out the top. Am I correct in assuming that all three are
supposed to be on top of each other? If so I sure can't figure out how to
get them there!

Thanks for any advice,

Dave Moag
62 TR3B