TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)
From: "Op" <oliverp@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 18:20:42 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Since I have just rescently joined the list, but have had a TR4 for over 12
years I have a ton of various questions. Since this topic came up I decided
to throw out this old question of mine. Before I put my TR4 away for storage
(7 years ago last week) I used to have extreme!! understeer.   I had new
Remington (not the greatest tires, but good for normal use)205 60 15 tires
on tr6 wheels mounted to it. The TR4 is 1964 (ct20347L) with no front or
rear swaybar. I used to be able to at any speed above 30mph crank the wheel
very hard, and get the car to go in a front wheel plow. eventually the car
would turn, but it was always a source of fear for the unknowing occupant.
Do other TR4s have this severe understeer problem? I have new springs I
bought from moss(semi race) that I have not yet put in. I have heard a lot
of horror stories about aftermarket springs. I really want to make my car
into a super good handler. Anyone have any ideas on TR4 handling? I have a
perverse fantasy of eventually doing 1.00G in a skidpad test with my TR4.

Op

Want to hear how insane I actually am?
Then listen to comedy (attempts?) skits I have done and recorded to Real
Audio format
HTTP://hiddenmic.cjb.net/

For a great article on 3.5 Litre BOP/Rover V8 info and pix of my TR4
HTTP://alumv8.cjb.net/

For a bit of Paranormal in Media
HTTP://ufotv.cjb.net/