Re: TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)

To: Op <oliverp@gte.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 17:44:08 +0100
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
As well as fitting a 'sway' bar at the front, you can also fit
adjustable shockers, change all the rubber bushes in the suspension  to
nylatron or something similar, and change all the springs (front and
rear) to a harder type.   As I said in a previous note, with my 4 I
replaced the rear springs with standard (if there is such a thing)
springs, but otherwise left things alone,  put on new shockers and
nylatron bushes at the front with new 'blue' springs plus a sway bar (I
think it must have been an Addco - it is definitely thicker than
standard)   Ther were some notes a while ago about rear sway bars - I
think most of us agreed that they were OK for racers but not worth
fitting to road cars.
What I am considering doing is to change the camber angle from 1 ish
degree positive to 1 (or 2) degrees negative on the front suspension.
The positive camber was designed for crossply tyres, and radials really
need negative camber.
There are two ways of doing this on TR2-4 chassis - one is to cut the
upper wishbones and re weld them a little shorter (I have some spares
but have not yet got around to doing this) also you can fit some kind of
kit.  I think that Revington TR in the UK sell  an adjustable set up
for about 120 UK pounds - I am tempted to but one and fit it.
If you want to see what my car handles like when cornering - then look
at my website for the picture of me  going around Castle Combe race
track last year.

--
Cheers
Brian Johnson  (UK)