Re: TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)

To: oliverp@gte.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 way understeer (TR4A front spring packing pieces)
From: CaptGonzo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 08:21:04 EDT
Hey, here's my $.02...

Put a big ol' anti-sway bar on the front of that puppy. I know that it won't
cure understeer but the general cornering limit is so much improved that the
understeer won't seem as bad...

My 4A just was terrible that way when I got it. I added an addco front bar,
mild comp springs, Koni's and new bushings all around. I think the front bar
made the largest difference by far. I eventually went back to stock springs
with one coil cut off and it cornered (and rode) even better.

Huge massive difference. Before, exacly what you described, massive
understeer. Break the front end loose @ 30mph with a big steering input.

 After -- still U/S at the limit, but the limit was now high enough that
you're kinda' glad that it understeered!

There's a "stock" (optional, really) TR4 front bar available. I went the
Addco route because it was much heavier and reasonably priced. I used grade 8
mounting hardware as the Addco stuff wasn't that great. Bob Schaller
describes a much improved front bar mounting in "More BS on TR's" -- when I
get around to it, I'm going for that set up.

Modern 195/65R15 tires on alloy wheels were also a quantum leap...

Have a rear A/S bar that I'll get aroung to putting on someday, and hopefully
the handling will be neutral.

I think the 1.0g is doable! Especially on a smooth surface with the stiffer
TR4 chassis. GO FOR IT! Big NASCAR style tubular front and rear anti sway
bars, and huge Hoosier autocross tires on massive wheels. And a five point
harness to hold you in place! A G-tech on a 300ft circle will tell the tale.

Good luck!

Chris L.
'66TR4A
http://members.aol.com/lilljaweb/index.html