re:TR4-6 slave spring

To: Brian <sanborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: re:TR4-6 slave spring
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 21:30:46 -0400
Brian, the diaphragm clutch does not use a spring so that the clutch
is "self-adjusting".  The throwout bearing does indeed touch lightly
on the diaphragm fingers, hence the need to prevent the carried from spinning
on the fork fingers.

IMHO, the self-adjusting aspect is worth the extra wear and tear on the bearing.

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: TR4-6  Spring on Clutch Slave Linkage

Hi gang,

Refitting the interior this week end.  Boy is it a pain in
the ass to get the gearbox cover on..... with all the bolts
installed.   Car now moves under it own power.  Although I
haven't gotten out of 1st or revese gear yet.

Got a question about why the TR4A diaphram clutch doesn't
appear to have a return spring on the slave cylinder
linkage and the TR4 does.  Even though my car is a 62,  it
has '66 engine and transmission with a diaphram clutch and
linkage.

The spring is appears to be designed to return the slave
cylinder to it's retracted position so the throw-out
bearing doesn't ride on the clutch fingers.
<