TR6 Tranny Question - Post Clutch Install

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Tranny Question - Post Clutch Install
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 21:38:46 -0700
Hi,
I just installed a new clutch, TOB, sleeve and pressure plate. The taper pin
was fine and fork pins were in good shape. I put new oil in the tranny(95W-140
I think).  My forward gears work fine. Reverse does a little grinding and
eventually 'slows down' and goes into gear.  By 'slow down' it acts like the
clutch is not engaging(or slipping) and the grinding slows down until the gear
catches. I tried the old trick of putting it in another gear and then trying
reverse(as reverse has no syncro I understand) but that does not work here.

This was not a problem before.

My two push rods(pedal and slave cylinder) look like they've never been
replaced and I will replace them on the next mail order.

Just in case I went ahead and rebuilt the Master and Slave cylinders. I think
they were fine before though.

Any ideas whats going on? Is the clutch engagement marginal?

I've not bolted the tranny cover back down as I may change the fluid(if anyone
has a different recomendation for oil on the tranny). Maybe the new thick oil
is playing a role here. Like I said, it works fine in all forward gears.

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account
at http://www.eudoramail.com