Re: Cloth vs. vinyl top

To: "Kim and Kelly Alford" <alfords@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: Cloth vs. vinyl top
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:42:04 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Cloth top will be more durable.  Vinyl windows will still fail (fog)
overtime.  At that point you could have a trim shop sew in new windows on
you old cloth top.  You can increase the useable life of your windows by
washing them frequently (I would sugest weekly) with a very mild soap
solution and a clean cloth.    THe fogging that occurs on plastic
convertible windows is primarily the plasticizers in the vinyl outgassing
to the surface of the plastic and chemically linking with any dust, mold,
pollution, etc that is on the surface of the window.  This chemical soup
becomes the outer surface of a plastic window over time.

I have a navy blue cloth top on my medium blue GT-6 convertible.  I work in
the convertible/soft top side of the auto business and I took my old vinyl
top in to work and had one of the prototype trimmers duplicate it in Haartz
Stayfast fabric.  After 6 years the top still looks good but I had the
windows replaced this past winter (for a labor rate of 2 cases of beer).