RE: TR3B: Stupid O/D Wiring Question

To: moag@ix.netcom.com
Subject: RE: TR3B: Stupid O/D Wiring Question
From: Jeff A Williamson <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 07:57 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hop-count: 1
Hi Dave,

I also have a TR4A tranny with O/D in my TR3A. It is my understanding that
one of the switches locks out the O/D in 1st and 2nd gears, while the other
one locks out reverse. I aggree that both these switches are to be wired in
parellel, and are located on the tranny cover. Mine does not have any other
switches on it.

In my case, I bypassed both switches (because the connectors had been broken
off) and the relay, and just wired the solenoid directly to my dash switch.
(This may also be the reason why I have burned up a few solenoids.) Now the O/D
will actuate in all 4 gears and reverse. This is NOT recemmended, as serious
damage can be done if you try to use O/D in reverse. Using the O/D in 1st and
2nd works fine, but there must be some reason for not wanting to do this, as
the
original lock-out switch must be there for a reason -- why, I don't know. I
suppose it's possible just to use the one switch that locks out reverse, then
you
can use the O/D in 1st and 2nd, and not have to worry about accidentally using
reverse with the O/D engaged.

I used to autocross my car, and found the overdrive very useful in 1st and 2nd,
as
I didn't lose time shifting gears, and could keep the engine speed in the power
band.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'58 TR3A
'60 TR3A

Dave wrote:
<I bought a rebuilt A type TR4 O/D for my TR3B. It has two switches on it;
<the one in front is for wiring to the O/D switch, and the one in back is for
<Reverse lamps. Since my car doesn't have those, do I just put something over
<the 4 tabs on this switch to prevent shorts and leave it alone? Or does it
<also perform some unknown (to me) purpose and if so, what would I wire it
<to?

Randall wrote:
<AFAIK, few TR4s came with backup lights.  However, there are normally
<two switches on the tranny cover for the OD (except for early TR2).  The
<switch near the center line allows for OD engagement in 3rd and 4th, the
<one near the right side allows for OD in 2nd.  These two switches are
<wired in parallel, one side to ground, the other to the coil of the OD
<relay.
<If a backup light switch is present, I believe it will be on the left
<side of the cover, and can be simply left disconnected.