Re: mucked up soft windows

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mucked up soft windows
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:01:04 -0400
With regard to plastic polish - are you referring to the Novus brand?  I
would be very wary of using anything on new plastic windows.  Once you
notice slight fogging, the window is degrading and you have less to loose
and more to gain by trying to remove any fog.

 I have used Novus #1 and #2 with questionable results.  After 5 years of
keeping the windows clean (frequent washings) I noticed the beginnings of
fogging.  I used the polish with a right angle die grinder with a 3 in dia.
lambswool pad using the grinder at low air pressure (low rotational speed
to avoid overheating the plastic locally and smearing the surface).  The
results were a more clear window. This past fall I was able to drive the
car into mid December due to the winter snows coming late.  When the sun
was low on the horizon it was very difficult to see out of the window
because the light was diffracting (starburst pattern).  I suspect this was
caused by the polishing of the window modified the surface of the plastic.
This was not apparent when it was cloudy or the sun was higher in the sky.
Headlights caused the same condition.

FWIW, I work in the convertible/soft top end of the auto industry.  About
10 years ago one of the major suppliers of plastic rear windows developed a
scratch coating for plastic windows.  The product passed all of the
laboratory testing and when we sewed the window material into a prototype
top for vehicle evaluation the night optics (headlights from behind caused
the light to diffract) were so bad that the concept of a scratch coating
was abandoned