RE: badvleaking OD unit

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: badvleaking OD unit
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:30:10 -0700
On Friday, May 28, 1999 4:30 AM, CarlSereda@aol.com
[SMTP:CarlSereda@aol.com] wrote:

> Are you sure you have the right drain plug? I just bought an A type OD
unit

Yes, I have the right plug for my unit.  There are (at least) two different
plugs fitted to A-type ODs, the one that is on my TR3A (which came from a
57 TR3) is the earlier type.  On the later plugs, such as you have (or the
one that belongs on my car), the filter screen is held in place by a
projection on the inside of the plug.  On my earlier unit, the screen is
held in place by a bolt and spacer.  The plugs will probably interchange,
but at a minimum you have to change the screen too, since the holes are
different sizes.

> it has to be real tight either way.

Apparently so.  Brian Schlorff tells me he tightens them to 120-150 ft lb.
 I was using maybe half that.

Randall