RE: FAILED emissions test!

To: "spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: FAILED emissions test!
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:28:01 -0700
High CO with normal HC is almost always a sign of rich mixture.  Ignition
problems can also cause high CO, but usually will cause high HC as well.

So, lean the carbs just a touch and take it back.  Ask the tester to not
run the engine until it's overheated, as that will usually aggravate the
problem.  Some shops, if you ask nicely, will let you tune your carbs with
the machine connected, so you can get it right.  They usually want to
charge a tune-up fee though.

Or, you could try finding one of the "octane improvers" that lists MTBE as
one of it's ingredients.

Be glad you don't live in California, as our inspection includes a visual
for all emission equipment.

Randall