Re: synthetic gear oil

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: synthetic gear oil
From: ssutton@ridgenet.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:20:21 -0700
Posted-date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
Peter,

    I have been running Redline oil in my '74 TR-6 transmission w/
OD for the past two years, before that I ran Sta-Lube 80W-90 GL4
oil.  The transmission was completely rebuilt (along with the rest of
the car) from 1989 thru 1996 -- a 7 year frame-off restoration that
started by needing to cleanup the engine compartment and got
slightly out of hand -- but that's another story!

  With the GL4 oil the transmission was slightly notchy and I had
gear clash during cold winter mornings (about 25F - I know it's not
that cold, but I live in the desert).  After 6 months I switched to
Redline MT-90 instead of MTL since MT-90 is slightly heavier and I
was worried about the oil thinning out too much in the summertime
heat (120F).  The MT-90 worked great, no problems in the summer
or winter.  Very good shift feel and only a bit stiff, but smooth in the
winter mornings.  I ran this for a year. OD performance is fine, no
problems, nice smooth engagements/disengagements.

This past December I switched to Redline MTL, just to try it.  I will
have to say that the shift action was not stiff, but it was not very
smooth, slightly notchy.  In the summer heat (100F so far) the shift
action is not as good as the MT-90, also the OD engagement
/disengagement is slightly harsher.  I have some MT-90 on order
and will switch back to this.

Hope this helps.

Steve Sutton
'74 TR-6