Re: No Spark Spit

To: KHOCO@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Spark Spit
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:28:24 EDT
In a message dated 99-08-07 23:26:01 EDT, KHOCO@aol.com writes:

<<             Installed new coil, new points, and new condenser. still nada.
 Wires to coil hooked up correctly. Voltage to coil ok. Voltage from coil ok.
 wire from coil to distrib ok. Tried different plug wires from coil to
ground,
 No good. Tried piece of wire from coil to ground, no luck. Don't know
correct
 gap for Spit. I set them at .014.
             Is it possible that the new coil is bad? Or the condenser? Is
 there any thing else Iv'e missed. Maybe utter some Incantations to the gods
 of Lucas, Sacrafice a spark plug or somthing? >>

Ken,

It looks like you've gotten good advice by now from the "List" so I'll try
not to be redundent....I've experienced "no spark anywhere" problems lurking
in a few spots which I don't think were mentioned.

One common mistake I've seen is setting point gap "off-lobe"...it's not easy
to do but I've seen it happen!  Make sure the rubbing block of the point set
is riding on the lobe (high point) of the dist cam - the correct gap range
for the Spit points is .014" to .016".  Don't assume that that new condensor
is good...I had a "new" one go bad in less than 3 days....they're cheap and
easy to replace.

You didn't mention that you replaced the dist cap.  I have also experienced a
problem called "carbon tracking" in my dist cap.  If the dist cap develops
even very fine cracks from heat, fatigue, etc. between electrodes,  carbon
from the natural arcing of high voltage will buildup in the crack and
eventually present an electrical path between the electrodes.  The engine
will usually run; however, because the other electrodes won't be affected but
to be safe - replace the cap!

Good luck,

 Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)