Re: Bios

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bios
From: JMHaas@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:54:23 EDT
I'm Jan Haas and have lived in SE Pennsylvania (Berks, Philadelphia and Bucks
Counties) for 35 of the 40 years.  My wife and I resided in Wilmington,
Delaware for 5 years.  Currently we live in Yardley, Bucks County, PA.  We
have two children - Kate is 14 and Philip will be 12 in the fall.  I work as
a health care executive in a medical center.  I have worked in hospitals for
the last 20 years.

My other hobbies include woodworking and genealogical research.  If you are
interested in genealogy, you can check out my home page
(http://angelfire.com/pa/jmhaas/index.html) for more information.  Someday I
hope to update the home page with information on my TR6.  Other time is spent
coaching my son and daughter in sports (soccer, baseball, and basketball).
Baseball really cut into our summer restoration work.

I first fell in love with a Triumph in 1975.  I was looking to purchase my
first car and was attracted by a green TR6 on a used car lot.  I sat in the
beauty and regretted that I could not afford the huge outlay of $1500 for
her.  I only had $500.  I ended up with a 1965 Buick Special that met my
needs for a year before I sold it and went away to college at Penn State.

I always dreamt of someday owning a TR6.  About 2 years ago I talked my wife
into letting me buy one.  This was not easy and was only made possible with
the help of other wives in the neighborhood.  They encouraged her to let me
make the purchase - God bless them!!  I spent over a year looking for the
right buy.  Despite recommendations from a pair of friends that own Turners,
I wanted to purchase a restoration.  My son was getting of the age where he
had an interest and I saw this as an opportunity to show him the world of
mechanics.  After viewing and driving many, reading this list, and everything
I could get my hands on about TR6s I stumbled across my find.

Ironically my wife found the car and it was less than 1.5 miles from our
home.  She was talking with a friend from church about my ridiculous idea of
purchasing a TR6.  She responded that her husband tinkered with cars and had
something in the old barn that started with a T.  It also so happened that
this same guy was my son's assistant principal.  I called and visited this
Renaissance man.  He lives in 1740s home that he has restored by hand.  The
property has an old barn and a new barn that he built.  The new barn
contained three bays.  In the bays were a cherry red Ferrari, cherry red TVR,
and a cherry red rear engine Maseratti on the lift.  He has restored all 3.
In the old barn was the TR6 that he had started but never finished restoring.
 It had laid dormant for 6 years.  I purchased the Damson 71 TR6 with 42,000
miles and the original red lines.  I have spent he last 8 months doing an on
body restoration.  I am very close to taking her to get painted.  I hope to
be on the road in the near future.  I'll keep you all posted.