Misc. questions on TR3 (long ... sorry)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc. questions on TR3 (long ... sorry)
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:13:49 -0500
Hello all --

I'm a new member of the list, hoping to find answers for some of my
misc. questions.  Have had a 77 Spit for a number of years, just
picked up a 1957 TR3 (not an A, just a 3) comm. no. TS15098L.  Car is
in fabulous shape, actually, or fabulous compared to some of the TR2s
and 3s I've looked at in the past.  Went through what looks to be a
good restoration in the late 70s, been garaged ever since and then
not driven for the last 10 years.  Engine & carb seals and such are
shot of course, the paint needs to be re-done, and there are some
very minor dents in the body.  I want to do a frame-off job over the
next couple of years, and have begun taking fenders and such off to
make getting the body off easier.  The interior will soon follow.

So...my questions:

1) The car's interior is, for the most part, pretty nice.  Not great,
but I could re-install it and use it for a year or two after
completing a mechanical and body restoration, while I save money for
a good interior kit.  To that end, I'd like to apply some
vinyl/leather preservative or conditioner now.  Is it just the seat
faces that are leather?  How do I tell if they are leather, since I
think there are 100% vinyl kits available?  And what product would
you all recommend I use on the vinyl and on the leather?

2) What have other people put the bodies on while they worked on the
frame?  From looking at it all, it seems I could just build a small
wooden frame with 2x4 or 4x4 "rails" in roughly the same position as
the frame rails and set the body down on it.  Does this seem
plausible?  Or are there better ideas?
And what kind of paint have people used to paint their frames?  Black
glossy enamel?

3) My car is not an overdrive model.  I have read that I can find
virtually any TR2-6 overdrive transmission and stick it in with no
modification.  True?  I have also read that the rear-end gear ratio
is different on overdrive models (4.1:1 versus 3.7:1 for non-OD).
True?  Suggestions on how to make that switch?
Or, do you non-OD TR2 & 3 owners find that the overdrive really adds
much?  It added a lot to my Spit, but then it's got those little 13"
wheels...  And what's a realistic price to pay for an overdrive and
transmission?

4) What books, if any, would you recommend I purchase to guide me
through this?  I have the Haynes manual for my Spit, which proved
invaluable.  Is there one for the TR3?  What else should I look to
get?

5) Anyone have any contact information for a British car club in the
Des Moines, Iowa area?  I used to belong to a club in Iowa City, but
that's a long ways to go now -- and I know there's a club here, just
not sure how to find them.

Sorry this is so long!  Thanks, though, for any advice you can offer.

Dan
Dan Buettner & Nicole Cable       mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net