Re: Misc. questions on TR3 (long ... sorry)

To: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Misc. questions on TR3 (long ... sorry)
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 09:21:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dan,

I'm just finishing up a frame off on my '58 TR3.

Some answers:
1. Interior: You should be able to stretch the vinyl seat surface some,
but not leather. I recommend a protectant for both the vinyl and leather
called "303 Aerospace Protectorate" available from commercial
upholstering supply houses and maybe other places.
2. Body: I built a triangle shaped cart that supported the body on the
two front "slanted" body supports and the two rear supports next to the
B posts. It was a bit tail heavy but it worked. I only used it when the
body was in the body/paint shop. In my garage and when it was stored on
the side of the house while I was working on the frame and engine, I
kept it on saw horses. I did build supports from 3/4 lumber and 2x4s
screwed to the A post and the interior panels just behind the B post, to
keep the body from folding when lifted, although it turned out not to be
a problem. The body only weighs maybe 200 lb.. with all of the parts
removed, two men can move it by straining! Four make it a breeze.
3. Mine is an OD equipped model so am not familiar with changing over.
4. Books: The TR2 with TR3 supplement "Service Instruction Manual" Pub
#502602, is available from used book stores, and may be available as a
reprint. It is the original factory book and is invaluable, I also have
a Glenn's, both of Piggot's "Original TRs" and the factory parts manual.
I also use the Moss Catalog as a resource, as it shows most of the
drawings from the various factory manuals, the Moss part #s and their
price!
5. I am in the local Triumph club and their support has been very
important to my struggles with the restoration over the past three years
or so.

During my restoration, I have tried very hard to rebuild and/or refinish
and therefore reuse as many original parts as possible. For instance, my
clutch was working fine, but I didn't want to just put it back together
as it was. so I took the pressure plate and the disc to a commercial
rebuilder that had experience with TRs, etc. and had it refaced and
rebuilt, and he pressed on a new TO bearing. Saved a bunch of money and
the parts were the right ones for my car, not always the case when you
buy new!

Good luck and keep us informed!!!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 in fewer and fewer boxes