Re: Houston, we have a problem...

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Houston, we have a problem...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:19:52 -0400
Cc: Randall Adams <radams@ArkansasUSA.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
RANDALL ADAMS writes:

<<<<<<<<<<< Original Post >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
last week I broke the clutch shaft pin that joins the shaft to the fork in
the bell-housing.  No roblem,  I have another pin, Shaft, & fork.  I take
the transmission out,  remove the fork, shaft & pin, replaced them with the
spares I have that are in better condition, play with the over-drive
settings and put it back in the car.    all went as smoothly as it ever
does.  When I attached the slave cylinder I put the shaft in the center
hole
of the clutch shaft 'drop-arm'.   Wired it up, put the seats back in and
started the engine. That all happened tonight

When I tried to back it out of the shop,the reverse didn't seem to engage
entirely.  the stick went into reverse, but when i let out on the cluch i
just crawled backwards.  no real engagement.   All the forward gears seem
work fine.

Question...Would the hole in the 'drop arm' make a difference here?

What else could it be?  the reverse gear was working fine when I removed it
last week...

Thanks for your help...

- --
Randall Adams
Northwest Arkansas
'60 TR3A, TS69690
British Iron Touring Club Pres.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Original Post >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like your overdrive is stuck inbetween direct and OD.  The
forward gears work because of the one way clutch.  If everything
was fine and now it isn't it is likely to be a bit of debris blocking
the passageway in the hydraulic circuit.

You didn't state whether this was an A-type or a J-type.  If it is an
A-type, take the plug out of the top, remove the rod and ball, jack
one drive wheel off of the ground and run the car in gear (very
briefly if you want to avoid becoming a super fund sight) to flush
a little fliud out.  That's the easy fix if it works.

Good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis MO USA