Practical Classics TR4A Restoration

To: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Practical Classics TR4A Restoration
From: Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:43:54 -0400
        Hello,

        has anyone seen the October issue of Practical Classics magazine?
They are starting a TR4A restoration and the subject is a '66 LHD car
imported from the USA.

        These guys paid GBP4700 for the car, plus GBP 1100 in shipping and
customs, for a whopping $9296 total (at 1.6 USD to the GBP). What they got
was a borderline parts car: rusty sills, floors, and inner fenders
(Canadian car); steel pipes for bumpers; no top; trashed interior, blue
over white over blue paint job, lots of nonstandard parts, not running,
etc... It has overdrive, but the solenoid is out and someone has rigged a
hook and line to engage it manually(!).The owner has agreed to spend
GBP15,000 to restore it ($24,000), for a grand total of $33,296...

        I'm happy for the car, and I understand this is a labor of love,
but couldn't the owner have found a better starting point? Are TR4 prices
so crazy in England that this makes sense? Is anyone on this list the lucky
guy who sold this car for GBP4700 ($7520)? Was it sold on eBay?

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic