Re: Lesson From Drive #2

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lesson From Drive #2
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:01:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Joe Curry wrote:

> Not much chance of that happening [bonnet popping up]
> on a Spitfire!  :)

Maybe not. Maybe the Spit's bonnet is too heavy to do what a Herald
bonnet almost did to me many, many years ago. I'd just gotten the
"replacment" bonnet primed and mounted onto my Herald, but Mr. Way-Cool
Senior in High School was too busy wanting to drive to the local wrecking
yard for more bits to bother installing the chromed latches to secure the
bonnet.

While I don't know if the bonnet ever would have actually arisen to full
open position while moving (had something to do, I think, with a low
pressure area being created by air flowing over the top and around the
base of the windshield while higher pressure air was underneath the
bonnet), I do vividly recall the panic on my buddy's face as he first saw
the bonnet's rear edge start to raise itself up. He and I were able to
hold it down for the 25-mile ride back home without further incident, he
having gotten whatever he'd wanted for his '65 Mustang and I having
bought whatever it was -- a diff, I think -- for the Herald!

Gawd, that was just too long ago, specifically around the time that Mungo
Jerry first (and last) hit the airwaves (Hi, jonmac!).

--Andy