Re: speedo and tach correlation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: speedo and tach correlation
From: bob@nwstar.com
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 18:23:07 -0600

>My tachometer reads 3000 rpm when the speedo reads 55 mph in 4th gear.  My
>TR6 does not have overdrive.  Is this about right?

    As confirmed by police radar in my '69 TR6, it's right (no ticket, I
stopped and asked them to check me).  I'm using 185-70/15 tyres.  Going to a
larger size should lower the RPM for the same speed.

>If I were to drive 200 miles in the car, can I safely drive it at 3500 rpm
>continuously for that many miles?

    A month ago, I drove 3100 miles over a 3 week period, approximately 2000
miles being done the first 4 days, and approximately 1000 miles the last two
days, crossing the Canadian Rocky Mountains east to west, then returning west
to east.  I ran the engine between 3000 and 4500 on the highway, with
absolutely NO problems.  Nor was any oil consumed.

    How well your engine is operating should be the deciding factor, mine was
totally rebuilt approx 1500 miles prior to this trip I refer to above.

    Hope this helps somewhat.

                    .....Bob

    mailto:bob@nwstar.com
    http://www.nwstar.com/~tr6