heat shield

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Vintage Triumph Register List <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: heat shield
From: D & A Jesudowich <dannij@localnet.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 20:37:44 -0500
Here are a couple of pictures of the heat shield that I've fabricated
for my TR250. Any comments are welcome, as I still have time to modify
it if necessary before the other two Webers come back from the rebuild.

http://members.localnet.com/~dannij/shield.jpg
http://members.localnet.com/~dannij/shielda.jpg
http://members.localnet.com/~dannij/shieldb.jpg
http://members.localnet.com/~dannij/shieldc.jpg
http://members.localnet.com/~dannij/shieldd.jpg

They were made from a sheet of thicker aluminum (street sign thickness)
and some 1/8"x1" aluminum bar stock, 4 bolts and some rivets. My
out-of-pocket was under $8. If I had access to a sheet metal Brake, it
would have been crisper, but it's not too bad looking. The tools that I
used were a jigsaw, hammer, drill, clamps, file and a wrench.
  I started  by making a cardboard template cut to fit under the intake
manifold (Cannon) and carburetors. The initial cut was an aluminum sheet
about 9 3/4" x 19". I created a fold running parallel to the block about
5 1/2" down from the top. Slots were cut out for the linkage and the
bottom edge was contoured to sit about 1/2" off of the wheel well. The
bottom of the fold was bent so that it was more or less parallel to the
road. A second piece was cut (this one smaller than the first because of
clearance problems
with the header) and bent to conform to the shape of the first piece,
with the addition of two 1/4" "lips" that were bent down slightly to
direct air. I then laminated this smaller piece underneath the first
using rivets and the 1/8" bar stock as a spacer. In effect, there is a
1/8" airspace between the two aluminum sheets. The forward facing "lips"
direct air between the sheets to help cool it. I then took the bar stock
and fashioned two brackets which conveniently fit into two slots that
already existed in the intake..(I cleaned up the casting a bit with the
Dremmel first though). The brackets were then bolted to the shield which
anchored the wedged-in top edge of the shield. Finishing touches were to
apply a "poor man's" jeweled finish with a wire brush. 99% will be out
of sight anyway when the carbs are installed, but what the heck.
  I have yet to test this out, but it HAS to be an improvement.
..now on to the shroud..

Alex
TR250 (on hiatus for the moment..but not for long!)