Success With Exh Manifold Cement?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Success With Exh Manifold Cement?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:29:50 EDT
List,

Has anyone had success with an over-the-counter exhaust cement for repairs to
small cracks in exhaust manifolds?

The small hairline crack in the exhaust manifold of the Spit grew very
quickly last week to a now very visible and noisy crack.  One of the triggers
was probably fatigue brought on by a missing bolt that secures the exh
manifold to the lower intake manifold. (I fixed that)

The crack is not very wide across - maybe 1/32" and partially encircles the
manifold serving #1 cylinder where the cast manifold tube flares out at the
head.  So I decided to try the cheap option - a $12.00 exhaust cement kit
from a speed shop.  The application went well...it's been curing for the
required 48 hours (directions said 48 hours if environment was humid and/or
cold - we had rain on Monday and 33 degrees this morning)....tomorrow I'll
fire her up and see if it worked but.....just in case it doesn't hold, I
thought I'd get some "Plan B" ideas from the list.

TIA,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (Fun Driver)