Re: oil drain plug won't seat

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil drain plug won't seat
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 06:13:44 -0500
>Hello the camp
>
>I just drained the oil from my GT6's gearbox, and now the drain plug
>won't go in all the way.  The male & female threads appear clean and
>undamaged, and for all I know it wasn't fully seated when I first
>went to remove it-- I didn't notice.
>
>Anyhow, I can't get it fully seated now-- about two threads still
>show, and I can't see any reason for the interference.  Is this just
>the way the threads are?  And no, I haven't refilled with oil to check
>for a leak.

My Spitfire's transmission drain plug doesn't quite go all the way
in, either.  Same with the engine sump drain plug.  A couple of
threads still show, but it's as leakproof as it's going to get.

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U. Runs & drives but blows smoke. Lots of it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Undergoing a frame-off restoration, begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html