RE: TR4 Siphon Tube Plug

To: <lbc61tr4@usa.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Siphon Tube Plug
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:05:57 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
I had a bitch of a time removing this plug from the TR4 engine which became
my TR3's new engine.... and that was just a block on a work bench with good
lighting and access.

Take a good look at this plug before you attempt to pull it out because it
is a very deep one.  The walls are probably as deep as the plug is wide.
After drilling more than one hole, I was still unable to pull it out and
decided to push it in, removing it from the inside.  Keep in mind, my engine
had some significant outside rust, so your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't
try this on a engine in a car.

Oh, pushing it in doesn't completely solve the problem.  I had to deform it
to get it all the way out of the passage between the sump and the siphon
tube outlet.  You can't just push it in and let it sit on the bottom of the
sump.  It won't drop down until it is flattened slightly.

Personally, I would let this one go until rebuild time.  On the other hand,
my experience may be unique.  Anybody else have experience with this one?

JMHO,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando
Hillsdale, NJ

>Ok, Brian and Ken have almosted convinced me to switch from closed to open
breather on my 61 TR4.  What I need to know before committing is how to
remove
the plug in the block where the siphon tube goes.  Brian removed his by
drilling a hole, inserting a large screw and using a puller.  He did this
while the engine was on a stand.  This is not feasible for me since the
engine
is in the car(and I'm not about to remove it).  Any suggestions how I can
get
the plug out without having to worry about any debris getting into the
block?