It wasn't the tranny oil (hard shifting)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: It wasn't the tranny oil (hard shifting)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 06:37:22 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
As a follow up to an earlier post of mine. . .
I finally got around to finding out what was causing the problem of not
being able to select any gear after the car had been run, and then sat for
a little while, then started with it's resultant high idle at startup.
Once the idle dropped down (approx 10-15 seconds, to a normal idle gear
selection could be made.  Now that doesn't sound like a long time, but
count it off, and you'll see that it would be a little annoying sitting at
the gas pump waiting for the idle to drop down to normal so you could
shift.  This would only happen once after a stop of this type and the car
would appear to shift normally after that.  Since I had changed oil (and
thought that I had put in the incorrect type) I suspected that that may
have been the problem.  This is the Borg Warner T5 I have in my modified
Spitfire (Triumph content here), and with carbon fiber synchros, I felt it
may have been heat soaking, causing one of them to stick.  Well it appears
the hasty, in the driveway clutch rebuild at MossFest last year the pilot
bushing was displaced slightly (cocked, no comments from the peanut gallery
please :-}).  On top of that, the bushing didn't have enough grease (or
dried out, possibly from mixing with disintegrated clutch material).  Good
thing I pulled the tranny out to look -  Machined a new bushing, installed
it last night and should have the car back on the road for the "British car
show at Woodley Park".  Hopefully, that' will be the last time I have to
pull this tranny out for a while. . .

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)