Re: It wasn't the tranny oil (hard shifting)

To: Jerome Judge <Goodlift@Sprintmail.Com>
Subject: Re: It wasn't the tranny oil (hard shifting)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:17:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
>The pilot bushing you are speaking of is what the main shaft of the
>trans runs in right? I am not sure about the Spitfire but the GT6 pilot
>bushing is made of a kind of sinistered (spelling) material, oil
>impregnated. I think if you machined one from plain metal you might have
>a future problem.
Yes it is, but in this application it requires a special one, not off the
shelf.  I machined only the O.D. of a sintered bronze bearing from a
different vehicle using the same pilot I.D., leaving the bearing surface
itself as stock, so as not to disturb the porosity and lubricating surface
of the sintered bronze - Machining the outer, non bearing surface, in no
way affect's the bearings properties, once installed.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)