Nasty rear clunk and rear TR6 shock question

To: "'triumphs@autox. team. net' \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nasty rear clunk and rear TR6 shock question
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:14:20 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I had a nasty clunking sound from the right rear.  I had examined the diff
mounts, the exhaust, this, that, the other thing.  Couldn't find anything
loose.  Some fluif on the frame near the shock.

Harkening back into long term memory I remembered someone else on the list
being befuddled by rear clunk and found a shock bolt not snug.  Thank you
list! Rear bolt was loose.  Amazing how much clunk generated by that lil bit
of movement.

Now the question, seeing the fluif on the frame I noted that a couple of the
top screws were somewhat loose.  I didn't fully remove the shock, so
couldn't tighten them all, but need to go get some fluif to fill them.
Given the angle they sit at, am I correct in assuming that they can not be
filled in situ and must be removed from the car? I could use a stubby
screwdriver to get all the screws.  Also, is the hydraulic fluif in the
likely to be AutoZone hydraulic fluif and must I buy what the big 3 sell? Is
there a problem with mixing possibly disparate fluifs?

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L(O)  W4UCK