RE: clutch clue

To: "'padraic mullin'" <paddyfm@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: clutch clue
From: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:59:07 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Padraic :

Is it still hard to shift with the engine shut off ?  If not, then the most
likely explanation is some sort of drag between the engine and transmission.
Mis-adjusted clutch linkage, malfunctioning hydraulics (air in the lines,
etc.), friction plate binding on splines, pilot bearing bad, are some of the
usual causes.  Sometimes, a _very_ bad TOB will show as a gross
mis-adjustment.

Clutch hydraulics should use brake fluid, for simplicity's sake use the same
fluid you use in the brakes.  I very much like DOT 5 Silicone, but not
everyone does.  Castrol LMA is another good choice.

For shocks (dampers), you can either buy 'official' shock oil at any of the
usual suppliers, or get motorcycle fork oil.  The fork oil has the advantage
that it is available in a variety of weights, which give you some
'tunability' over the shocks.  I believe the 'official' oil is around 15-20
weight, fork oil is available all the way from 0 weight to 50 weight.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver