Re: VERY Unhappy Spit

To: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: VERY Unhappy Spit
From: Dan Buettner/Nicole Cable <nickndan@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:19:08 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Listers,
>
>What a difference a day makes. I had a new canvas top installed on my
>Spitfire yesterday. In combination with the new paint job she looks
>absolutely fantastic. I drove quite a bit too and she is running quite well.
>Today's task was easy --- run down to the corner shop and have them rotate
>the tires, check alignment, change oil and trans fluid. An easy day.
>
>Turn the key and smoke pours out everywhere. I threw the disconnect as soon
>as I could get to it, but I've got melted wires running around in lots of
>areas now. Too depressed about it to even look any closer at what I'm going
>to have to do.
>
>One step forward and about five steps backwards it seems :(
>

>Dave Moag
>62 TR3B
>77 Spitfire (just when I thought it was about done)

Hi Dave --

I too have a 77 Spit, and I too had this happen to me.  Well,
actually, I was driving down the road on a late summer evening when
the lights went out and smoke began pouring from under the hood.

The hood reinforcement frame comes down pretty far over the battery
area, and I happened to have the battery turned such that it was
right over the positive terminal.  I also did not have a battery
hold-down on the big DieHard I mistakenly bought, though there was so
little clearance between the two that I don't think it would have
made a difference.

Took me a little while to figure out exactly why my ground strap had
melted.  Finally I noticed what basically looked like welding marks
on the otherwise pristine hood frame.  As Homer would say, Doh!

My advice to you -- turn the battery around so that the positive
terminal is no longer underneath the hood frame, and wrap some
insulating tape around the frame anyway.

The next battery I buy for this car will be a side-terminal I think.
Originality be damned -- I don't need fire in the car!

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:nickndan@earthlink.net

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U. Runs & drives but blows smoke. Lots of it.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Undergoing a frame-off restoration, begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html