RE: rear seat belts (US specific)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rear seat belts (US specific)
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:56:22 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My wife & I were recently out for a Sunday cruise with another couple when
we happened on a police seat belt check. When the officer looked in my car
to ask if we were buckled up, I said there were none with the car when
purchased because it was a '58 (I took the 3A that day), and she didn't bat
an eye as she allowed us to go on our way. I don't know the exact time in
Canada when seatbelts were mandatory, but there is no 'grandfathering' of
the rules to retrofit. And frankly, with a TR3A, I sometimes wonder if being
thrown from the vehicle is one's best bet, especially with the amount of
protection offered in a rollover, and what lap belts can do to one's
midsection!

Cheers, JD