RE: TR6 Tire Size - The Eternal Search

To: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Tire Size - The Eternal Search
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:45:18 +0100
>While there, we discussed tires for the car and they refered me to a
>specific dealer in nearby Washington DC.  Today I rang the the
>distributor up and they claim that a tire manufacturer named Vredestein,
>makes a blackwall size of 185/R15.  (Inspection of the Vredestein web
>site indicates that this tire actually has an 82% aspect ration,
>however.)
>
>The local distributor claims this tire is the correct profile as they
>also claimed to be familiar with the original Goodyear/Michelin
>Redlines.  So, as DC is not just a 10 minute jaunt from here, I was
>wondering whether anyone is familiar with this tire brand and/or has
>seen it in this size.  How's it handle/wear/look?  Any comments?
>
>Vredestein has a website at:
>http://www.vredestein.com/banden/auto/default.htm

Gary,

That was one of the tyres offered to me last month when I went for two new
rear tyres. However, they were twice as dear than the one I have now.
Vredestein is, as far as I know a dutch tyre producer, the tyres are good
quality tyres but usually nothing spectacular in terms of grip.
I now have Kumho tyres, korean manufacture but they have dot and E markings.
Called Powerstar 756 and size and rating is 185R15 91T, speed rating is ok for
US spec, may be even for PI's. cost me £45 each.

HTH

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048