TR4 rear check straps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 rear check straps
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:25:36 EDT
<<From: "padraic mullin" <paddyfm@hotmail.com>

Subject: rear suspension tr4

i took off my rear wheels and discovered a loose shock absorber...also

there's a small amount of play in the driver's side link (moss 42 #671-000)

also, for the life of me i can't find any check straps (moss 34 #674-630)

can you make any sense out of this?...do i need them?...where can i find a

pair?

thanks, pfm  >>>

Mr. pfm,
I am wondering if you realize the 'check straps' are actually 'steel arches'
bolted to the frame (at least on my '64 TR4 CT 22326L). They act as the
bumper stops for the two rubbers wrapped on the axle shafts when movement is
on the upswing. On the down stroke the axle bumpers hit the frame.
In Moss catalog it could be misunderstood how they attach or what they are
made of.
If you really don't have them I would track down a 'yard' that dismantles
TR4s as they should be fairly priced as I don't think anyone has ever wore
one out! ..well maybe rust...
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74