"Lucas" beehive lamps

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Lucas" beehive lamps
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
My TR4 suffered from Lucas Signal Light syndrom- the signals were pale,
and *very* hard to see on a bright day.

So today I was in the local Canadian Tire (hardware / auto parts chain),
looking for amber-lensed high-wattage bulbs for the signals.  No go.  The
only amber bulbs available are 1157/2157 type, and the little signal
(console) bulbs.

However, for $3 cdn, I grabbed a set of 2 cone-shaped amber *lenses* that
are approximately the same shape as the Lucas beehives adorning the front
of many the TR4 (and the back of many the LBC)

Great news: they fit!  (after adjustment)  I had to spin up a jam-fit
chuck on the [wood] lathe, and take off some material around the bezel
area, and the "foot", but they are much clearer than the old lenses and
also allow me to use a slightly bigger bulb.  To the untrained eye, they
look stock - and I beleive Euro-spec TR4s had amber lenses on signals
anyway...?  (anyone confirm/deny this?)

If anyone wants details, email me and I will share part numbers, and
proper dimensions.  Also if anyone knows where to get replacement rubbers
for the Lucas beehive lamps, please let me know, both of mine are on their
last legs and can't take much more abuse.

Next project: spinning an aluminum reflector to aloow even more light out
of the lens...

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm