List support suggestions

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: List support suggestions
From: Allen Patterson <kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:13:24 -0400

First, thanks to Mark for your personal time in keeping the list up.  I
don't think many people have a concept of just how time consuming it can
be. (hardware issues notwithstanding)
The below is clipped from the header of another list that got big and
time consuming:

<<<SNIP>>>

¥ REQUESTED SUBSCRIPTION FEE:  $10/year.  Monies will go directly to
defraying
publication costs, compensating for the expense incurred for hardware,
software and the ISP for the digest.

<<<SNIP>>>

What this list owner did was collate the names and post "supporting
members" in a post to the digest (well, several posts).  I guess the
thinking was that peer pressure would generate a good response.  He
didn't want to kick non-supporters off, but didn't want a bunch of
loafers living off the generosity of others, either.  He also made
everyone's subscription due at once for simplicity.  Post the renewal
notice as a single-post digest.  We will certainly forget otherwise
(these years keep getting shorter)

Along those lines, I would think that everyone on the list has developed
relationships with various parts vendors.  Put them to task on
soliciting support for the digest.  I would certainly give more
consideration to a supporting vendor.  Letting them do occasional
commercial posts also sweetens the pot a bit.

You seem to have picked $7.95 as an amount that will take care of your
expenses.  Many times the people who can least afford it are the ones
who will contribute the most, so a set amount is a good idea. If you
choose to contribute more, keep it to yourself.

Finally, a question. I'm on the Triumphs list and the Spit list.  Do you
need 7.95 once or twice?

Regards,
Allen Patterson
Korman Autoworks, Inc