Octane Booster, was Re: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Octane Booster, was Re: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:01:13 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
>>Although I can't comment on it's effectiveness as a lead substitute, the
>>Outlaw Racing formula is the most effective octane improver I've found.
>>The bottle isn't cheap, but one ounce works better in my engine than 12
>>ounces of the other stuff (and I've tried lots, including 104+).
>
>The active ingredient in most octane boosters is toluene. You can buy a
>gallon of toluene at the hardware store (in the paint department) for a lot
>less than you can buy a can of octane booster...

Actually, Xylene is a bit better than Toluene as an octane booster.  It is
also available a whole lot less expensively in the paint department than
octane booster in a automotive store.

See http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html for some interesting
formulas, although I have used several (6-8) ounces/ten gallons of gas to
eliminate pinging (pinking) when I have gotten a tank of seemingly bad gas.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando
Hillsdale, NJ