re: what's up with my steering?

To: "frank@zk3.dec.com" <frank@zk3.dec.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: re: what's up with my steering?
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:35:48 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
>Subject: what's up with my steering?
>

>Hello the camp!
>
>Somthing's wrong with my GT6's steering.  It's just a little... I don't
>know... "loose" at speed.  Seems to require constant corrections-- always tiny
>corrections, mind you, but needs them all the time.  I can't relax behind the
>wheel.  Also seems overly sensitive to the crown of the road.
>
>What should I look at?  caster?  shot bushings, or worn rack? or...?
><

Well, it sould be a loose/worn steering box, or maybe insufficient
toe-in.  I have my steering with ever so slight toe-in (still within spec, of
course)
and it does not self-center much and is more responsive to steering input.
I also used nylatron bushings to get rid of play in the suspension
to take advantage of the toe-in change.

Come to think of it  your problem could be worn out suspension bushings too.....

-Tony