Re: What did I do...elec. prob. w/gauges...MORON !!!

To: "tigerpb@ids.net" <tigerpb@ids.net>, "BethKen@erols.com" <BethKen@erols.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: What did I do...elec. prob. w/gauges...MORON !!!
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:35:50 -0500
>Ken: sounds like you zapped the official Lucas 10 volt supply to these 2
>gauges. It looks like a tiny rectangular tin can, with 2 wires plugged into
>it. your gas and temp gauges are actually powered by 10 volts. Guess the
>Lucas engineers had a hared time dividing by 12 when they designed those 2
>gauges!
<

Not really.  The problem was the generator/regulator.  It could not really
maintain
a constant voltage, and they did not have electronics to stuff in the gauges
themselves to regulate the voltage, so they did the best they could (for a
price).
I think ther were other ways to eliminate voltage as a factor, but they cost
more

Not bad for what they had to work with (no solid state parts).
After that time, they just stuck with what worked and was cheap.

-Tony