Re: Royal Blue~concours?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Royal Blue~concours?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:00:47 -0700

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 SJagGo@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Andy,
> > So if I added the proper D-type overdrive and wire wheels (as they would
> > properly appear on a Mk2) to a Mk1 Spitfire, I wouldn't lose points?  Would
> > all other judges concur?
>
> You shouldn't. And hopefully any given judge would concur. If not, though,
> the VTR juding system is set up so that at least all judged cars in a
> class are treated equally. On rare occasion that might mean all are judged
> by a "flawed" standard, but probably 95-98% of the time there is at least
> one person who knows the cars well enough to advise as needed.

This brings up somewhat of a sore point with me, but which I don't have
enough personal experience to verify fully. In writing back and forth to
others, I get the sense that some people with concours-level cars feel
that they cannot add clearly safety-related items to their cars without
losing points in concours competitions.

I would like VTR regional and national competition rules to clearly
state that no points will be deducted for roll bars, brake master
conversions to dual/split braking systems, or for 3-, 4- or 5-point
restraint systems, or for non-stock battery disconnects and fuel
delivery protection, such as better protected fuel lines or fuel cells.
In fact, consider this as a petition for a formal rule
change/clarification, if required. This may, in some ways, reduce the
tendency for some people to think that a trailer queen has a better
chance of winning concours, and may encourage people to outfit their
cars to meet their own safety needs sufficiently to actually _drive_
their cars. That's what it's all about--enjoying the drive.

The cars were built, within some economic parameters, to meet minimum
standards of the time of production. One should not have to take one's
life in one's hands driving a car which one also wants to meet concours
requirements, simply because those old standards are now found to be
outmoded or, frankly, dangerous. Anyone who drives a GT6 lives with the
knowledge that there's nothing but a scant bit of sheet metal between an
impinging rear impact and the gas tank. Freedom to fit a fuel cell
instead of the original tank, without penalty in shows, would be of
great benefit, for example.

Cheers, Andy.

--

Michael D. Porter