TR6 wheels on a TR4A

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 wheels on a TR4A
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:58:16 -0600
Fellow Listers,

Please offer any comments or corrections to the following assumptions:

Subject:
1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO

Situation:
My wire wheels and tires are shot and I don't have $1200-$1600 to replace them
(and live to tell). I want to drive the car rather than sit in it this Spring
saying VROOM VROOM.

Assumptions:
My less expensive alternative is to use stock TR6 steel wheels(used) with
P205/70R15 tires. I'm assuming these will fit and I should be able to do this
for about $600.00 +/- $100.00 (unless somebody wants to give me wheels for
free).

If I don't find the wheels locally, shipping is going to be expensive.

Dunlop D65T tires in P205/70R15 will make me happy, happy, happy (Emeril
Lagassi) - Especially compared to worn out original wire wheels.

I will need to replace my lugs (studs) with the longer ones. This, I've
heard/read, can be a real bear of a job on the rear hubs requiring all manner of
grinding and mechanical coercion.

I will need to replace the wire wheel adapter lug nuts with proper lug nuts for
the steel wheels.

I should buy my wife the new Dining Room furniture she wants before I do this.

Am I missing anything?

Mark A. Evans