Junk TR6 carburetor psychology

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Junk TR6 carburetor psychology
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:15:52 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Here's my psychology:  As an amateur with little mechanical experience, I
am reluctant to use my really nice, and nicely tuned, TR6 as a "learning
tool".  Can anyone sympathize with this problem?  For example, a couple of
you sent instructions about how to take apart the carburetor---either in
part (to empty dashpot oil) or in large part (to replace an "O" ring).
What I need is a duplicate carburetor for educational purposes, i.e.
something I'm not afraid to take apart.  I went to the junkyard that
carries a lot of British parts.  They only keep "restorable" carburetors
and charge $45 for them---too much for my simple purpose.  The guy says
that some things go wrong that can't be fixed, such as the jets, but that
they throw those away.  He also says they don't get them much anymore.

Would it make sense to ask if any of you have a TR6 carburetor that's been
junked, but is complete?  My '72 TR6 Stromberg carbs say CD-2 175 on them,
I believe.  I don't know if there's an early and a late type, but I'd like
to get the correct one.  Would anybody care to just mail one to me for
"postage and handling"?  Is this a stupid question?  A stupid idea?  Feel
free.

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com